Accessing Your Small Business Success

About Me

Accessing Your Small Business Success

A couple of years ago, I decided to abandon a long, unsuccessful job search. After many months of desperately looking for the perfect job, I chose to start a home based business. Because I’d never been an entrepreneur before, I was more than a little anxious. I was excited as well. Thankfully, I’ve enjoyed success in my new business venture. At the end of every month and year, I carefully analyze my revenues. Because I have a background in accounting, I know how to calculate various financial statement ratios that help me determine how my business is doing on many different levels. If you’re a struggling small business owner, consider hiring an accountant to help you access the success of your business. On this blog, you will learn the types of consulting services an accountant can offer a small business owner.



Latest Posts

4 Reasons Hiring A Business Accountant Is A Good Idea
30 March 2019

When you own a business, you should always be look

3 Reasons Why Your Company Needs To Hire An Audit Firm
1 January 2019

Whether you own a family business or run a corpora

Tracking Software Can Make Your Business Run Smoother
15 October 2018

There are a lot of things that you need to make su

4 Reasons To Hire For Payroll Services
14 August 2018

As a business owner, it's important that you conti

4 Financial Steps to Take After Having Your First Child
21 May 2018

If you had a child this year, your taxes are going

4 Financial Steps to Take After Having Your First Child

If you had a child this year, your taxes are going to be a little different than they were in the past. Here are four steps you should take.

1. Change Your W-4

The first thing you are going to want to do is change your W-4 that is on record with your employer. Be sure to ask your employer if you can file a new W-4. You are going to want to add your child to your W-4. Having a child will change the amount of money that you need to have taken from your paychecks. You should be able to bring home a little more money by changing your W-4 withholdings.  

2. Get a Social Security Number for Your Child

Second, you need to apply for a social security number for your child. Some hospitals will help you obtain a social security number for your child, and others do not. Remember that it may take a little while for you to get your child's social security number, so apply as soon as possible once you have your child.

When you file your taxes, you are going to need to provide your child's social security number when you claim them as a dependent.

3. Save All Your Receipts

The year you have a child, you are going to get a lot of medical care. You are going to have prenatal and postnatal visits, as well as the cost of childbirth itself plus all the care that your baby will need with check-ups at the start of their life.

Make sure that you keep track of all of these receipts for all expenses that you have to pay out of pocket for medical care. If you end up paying more than a set amount of your income toward your medical care, you may be able to write off your medical expenses.

4. Start a College Fund for Your Child

It is never too soon to start a college fund for your child. Set up a 529 plan or an Education Savings Account for your child. You are able to deposit a set amount of money each year into these accounts and deduct that money from your taxes. As an added benefit, your child's education money will continue to grow tax-free. If you save up a couple of thousand dollars a year, your child will have a nice savings account when they reach college age.

After you have a child, you need to get a social security number for your child right away so you can declare them as a dependent on your taxes. You need to change your W-4 to reflect your new family size. Save up your medical receipts so you may be able to deduct your medical expenses. Start savings for your child's future; it will help reduce your taxes now and will help your child out in the future. Talk to a certified accountant, such as Hough & Co CPA, to see what other steps you should take as you embark on this new path.